Happy Valentine’s Day (or maybe belated Valentine’s Day?)!! I hope everyone is enjoying themselves whether you have a lovie or not. If you don’t have a lovie, I hope you are enjoying loving on yourself and by this I mean self care.
I have been a little MIA on my blog but, yes, life got in the way. It is still getting in the way but I wanted to take the time today and talk about what is on my mind.
On my Instagram this month, I have been painting my feed PINK by focusing alot on self love, self care, and talking about how everyone is worthy of being happy. This is not only for other people to see it daily but also for myself. If I am making them, writing them, and posting them, I have to be busy with it often and see the positive words about self love and body positive. I believe the more you surround yourself with positive things, the more positive you will feel and think. This goes for anything in your life.
DO YOU FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM? INSTAGRAM.COM/GLAMOURWITHCHRISTINE
When writing the descriptions or replying to the comments, I wanted to make sure that everyone knows that just because I write positive 99% of the time doesn’t mean that my life is all roses and sunshine everyday. I struggle too. This is a daily struggle and I try to bombard myself with positivity believing that it’ll stick to me.
Most of my life, I have struggled in one way or another with my body image while somehow have been able to appear confident when I’m actually insecure. When I was younger, I was twice the size of what I am now and much shorter. I actually think that most of my insecurities with my body stems from my childhood.
DID YOU READ MY CHILDHOOD STORY?
Now since I turned 30 a few years back…okay, a couple more than a few. Anyways!! Since then, I have actually grown to accept myself and my cottage cheese thighs a little more. I do get insecure during the summer when the kids want to swim. But I try not to focus on it and just enjoy as much as I can.
In my 30s, I’ve learned a few things that have helped me with my self acceptance. I do believe that this is going to be a never ending issue because it is engraved in my brain. But I have managed to silence the negative thoughts. That is a step in the right direction which tells me I need to continue and not stop.
Things To Do That Improves Your Self Image
- Rid yourself of negativity. This can be unfriending someone on Facebook that has nothing good to say about anything. You can also do this with your friends. If you have a friend that can’t say anything good except complaining, it’s time to slowly cut them off.
- Turn a bad thing into a good thing. What I mean is to find something good in every situation. For example: Everyday, you drive your car to work but today the car is broke down. So, you need to ride your bike to work. The positive is that you are getting exercise, in fresh air, and get a good look at the scenic route.
- Make a list. Make a list of your best qualities and take some serious time to list EVERY one of them. If it takes you a very long time, then you don’t value yourself very much. Therefore, you need to read this list over and over again to let it sink it. All of these things about you are great!
- Talk nicely to yourself. If you are able to, keep track of every negative thought versus positive thought that you tell yourself within one day. I bet it would be alarming. Don’t be so hard on yourself!
- Don’t let your fears control you. Don’t avoid going to the pool because you are afraid that people will see you and stare. Of course, it will feel uncomfortable at first but just do it. Find something to take your mind off of it like play with the kids, read a book next to the pool, slowly swim laps, etc.
- Be someone else’s sunshine! This means to give positivity and helping hand. I have found that most of the time what you give out, you will get back more. If you give out glitter and sprinkles, you will get glitter and sprinkles back and more. You can listen to someone who just needs to vent. You can help someone who needs it. If someone is down, you can lift up their spirits and keep them moving in the right direction.
- First thought is a positive thought. When you wake up, what is your first thought normally? Mine is normally that I’m not ready to get out of bed yet because it’s so warm and cozy. But your first thought should be a positive one. For example: It’s a beautiful day out today or that was a fun dream! How you start off your day is a good indicator of how the rest of your day will go.
These will not make you all of a sudden have a great self image. It’s not a miracle program but it will help it a little bit each day. It is not easy to remember to be nice to yourself in your thoughts. It is really easy for us to help others but not ourselves and we need to change that.
I hope that this entry makes sense and you can’t tell that I wrote it with one blood shot eye open trying to finish it. I’m so bloody tired but I wanted to get this out tonight because it’s Valentine’s Day and I think someone needs to hear it.
Let me know what you think and if you tried anything like above!
PS. Don’t forget to Pin me! 🙂